.tupaka.

many have asked whether nina is speaking yet (since she will be two years old in june). well, yes and no. let me explain - i promise, i am not going to ask you to define speech or define it for you :)

she repeats a galore (one of my favorite words - thank you gaelic folks for making it part of the english language) of words, but not too many full sentences yet. she has a vocabulary of about 200 words or so, and, of course, some of them need some deciphering. 

here is a short list of decipherables:
  • tulipán (tulip) - tupaka
  • étel (food) - nyamaka
  • keksz (cakes) - kekszi
  • dot néni (aunty dot) - doki
  • jim bácsi (uncle jim) - jibaka
  • orsi (our friend orsi) - otyi
  • phil bácsi (uncle phil) - fika (also the word for booger in hungarian)
  • dolgozni (to work) - dogó
  • sajt (cheese) - saki
  • gyümölcslé (fruit juice) - gyibike
  • elmo (the furry red muppet) - ebi

stopping and smelling the tupaka :)

2 comments:

The Larson Family said...

I love how kids mispronounce things in their own special way! There is part of me that never wants to correct them, and even want to use the same mispronunciation...but then i am haunted by the speech pathologists who warned me that it will screw up their head...oh guilt, but when 2 year old Gretchen called oatmeal "ee-pen-oh" I could hardly resist calling it the same!! I am still tempted 5 years later!! All of our kids have had these things. So dear, and somewhat sad when they lear to say it the "right" way.

andi said...

Yes, that is a huge temptation. I am for now sticking with using her version of people's names, and her version of the Hungarian word for juice. I hope I can make it without adopting her entire vocabulary...).It's just too cute.