.mistery.solved.

On our last day in Sarajevo, I woke up with a weird scratching in my throat. I assumed a cold was about to attack, so I started taking throat candy, and when we arrived home, I added cold medicine and vitamins galore. To no avail. The throat stuff continued - only for about a day - but in the process, was joined by a VERY runny nose, LOTS of sneezing, and a general muscle weakness. It kept getting worse, and although medicating myself, nothing was changing. Someone around me suggested it might be allergies, which I immediately brushed off as impossible. With no history of any allergies to pollen in my family, and me never having been allergic to anything, I was sure that is not what it was.
And then this morning we left for Budapest for the day (Arpi was teaching at the church there), and in the afternoon, before heading back home, I realized that although I had left the house armed with a considerable amount of tissues, I didn't need to use them even once! Not even a tiny sneeze! Hmmm. I was leery of coming back, for I suspected what awaited me.
And sure enough, soon after arriving back home to Vajta, the sneezing attacks returned.

I have always felt VERY sorry for my friends who have allergies to certain types of pollen, but secretly - I now realize - I felt some kind of sick pride for having a stronger immune system than that. (Feel free to judge me for that one. I deserve it.)
So now, at the age of 30+, I get to discover how they have felt all these years. And you know what's really scary? At this time in my life, God has me living on the grounds of a castle which is surrounded by a HUGE property, covered in nothing but grass, bushes, trees and flowers! Somethings is always in bloom starting now until roughly September. Yikes.

And purely for entertainment's sake, I looked into what pollen looks, like. Check it out....

Pretty, isn't it?

All this to say, I am now officially a pollen-allergy sufferer. Of which kind, I don't know yet, but if anyone out there knows of some kind of medication that can be taken to make life a bit easier, please, HELP!

10 comments:

Anna said...

The only thing that ever helped me (and I had tried EVERYTHING) was moving to a place that doesn't have the pollen I happen to be allergic to. I'm so sorry I can't be more helpful - and I do feel your pain!

mackenzie said...

that is most definitely a bummer.

i hear that if you eat a lemon slathered in honey, it'll help clear your nasal passages.

someone really brilliant told me that : )

i love you, even with pollen allergies. maybe you should come to seattle for a bit, you know, to escape the vajta pollen. i think that's the perfect solution.

Laci and Keri Németh said...

NO Andi do not listen Kenzo... The Sea is calling you..Adriatic Sea... THat's what we were told about Lea... The doctor said: "Move your family to the Alps or the Adriatic Sea"

So

SEA you there... :)

L

p.s.
For Keri no drugs helped or help... sorry... Letiazn or Claritin were tried by her... but its waste of money...
Listen to Doug and Lea's Doctor... :)

Anonymous said...

wow, i'm not happy for this post. not only 'cause i'm sorry for you but this is decreasing my chances of remaining allergy-less for the rest of my life:-(
by the way, Bodi might be able to give you some tips. he is good like that. (my pastor, pss...:P)

Anna said...

The Alps or the Adriatic Sea - both of those are wonderful options! I also think that Seattle or Southern California would work well too.

andi said...

Wow! Thank you all, for your input,you have been so helpful. Anna, I like your idea the best. How about, if I spend the same amount of time per year in the Alps, by the Adriatic, in Seattle and in Southern Cal?
Sound like fun!

Anonymous said...

THis is really interesting. I used to be just like you. No history of allergy not even in my family. Than after I had Anna right at the next rag weed season I had to face the same symphtoms you just described. And yeah, nothing really helped, so I have no advice. Sorry.

the mccalls said...

Hahó Andi, megtöröm a kört és magyarul írok. Csak abban akartam hozzászólni, hogy a Bandi sem volt soha allergiás, de a vajtai élet neki is előhozta. Mióta elköltöztünk semmi baja. Viszont amíg ott voltunk sokat segített neki egy Allegra nevezetű amcsi gyógyszer amit egyszer az anyukája küldött neki. Esetleg érdemes kipróbálni. dóri

m+m said...

Szia Andi!
Sajnálom, hogy te is csatlakoztál az allergiások táborába! Matt is küszködik ezzel főleg nyáron, és ami segített az a Zyrtec (lehet, hogy rosszul írtam) tabletta ill. a Rhinocort lokális "szippantós" cucc. Persze a tengerparti nyaralás sem hangzik rosszul! :)
Melinda

What We Believe said...

I would suggest that you guys move to Napa, but the pollen is terrible here.

One of the worst places in the U.S.

Well Andi, welcome to the world of "you're getting older now".

:(

Love you guys,

Bill Walden