.on.hold.

I had to call my bank's customer service department yesterday, to ask them to replace a card they sent me (it had my maiden name on it by mistake, and I need my married name to be displayed on the little piece of oh, so useful plastic). One would think that taking care of something like that wouldn't take too long. Especially over the phone, as the whole point of over-the-phone customer service was invented so you wouldn't have to stand in line at the bank itself for every little thing.
Although I love my bank, and they have always been great, and professional, yesterday was a different story.
It took three different phone-calls, and a FULL HOUR on the phone to take care of this. As you can imagine, I spent most of that hour actually ON HOLD. Only about 10-15 minutes of the hour was spent speaking with officials. As I was getting more and more impatient, I started paying attention to the "on-hold song" that was playing over, and over again. You know those songs that are supposed to make you calm while you wait to be listened to? Well, whoever chose this one, had a brilliant sense of humor, as the chorus playing again and again, said: "Please, listen to meeeeeeee....." No kidding. I wish I could post the music here, because the whole song had this droopy-eyed, begging tone to it, it was so ironic, I had to laugh.
So how do you pass time while waiting? Well, I looked through the latest junk-mail selection, and found out what's on sale at Tesco and Metro. Then I leafed through the CBD catalogue. Then I looked through the latest issue of a women's magazine. And THEN, as I was STILL on hold, I decided to sweep the living-room floor, as well as the stairwell, since I had the time. A great use of the otherwise seemingly useless on-hold time, indeed. I was very proud of myself. Much accomplished, in one short hour. Maybe I'll call the bank again today, and clean the bathroom while I wait? I'll let you know.

3 comments:

Laci and Keri Németh said...

please make those phonecalls from Vukovar.

Thank you

Laci

andi said...

Dear Laci,

How about a bit of compassion?

Laci and Keri Németh said...

Come on...
I am offering free phone calls for you... all you need to do is drive 3 hours, and clean our house... I think that sounds like a decent deal.. :)

Lazo von businessman