.in.memoriam.skála.

Until the first malls opened in Hungary (and for a number of years after that), the coolest and best department store chain in Hungary was the one called Skála. And from all its stores around the country, the one I liked best was the one in Budapest, on the Buda side, conveniently named Skála Buda. Of my 9 years of life in Budapest, I lived very close to it for about 5 years. So of course, this is where I did most (if not all) of my shopping. Over the years, I had become a huge Skála fan. During the last year and a half that I lived in Budapest, I actually lived right across from it, and went there almost every day.
You could find everything at Skála, and they were the first ones in Hungary to introduce the wedding registry system. So when Arpi and I got married 3 years ago, we got registered there, and that is where many things in our house are from.
Unfortunately, with the influx of huge malls, and the change of shopping habits in the country, the company had recently closed down or sold all its stores, but the one in Buda was still holding out.
A few weeks ago, when in Budapest, I was sad to see that it had been closed as well. The parking lot was empty, the windows covered with a sign announcing the building of the new shopping center planned.
The demolition of the building started yesterday, and I just want to say: "Goodbye Skála, I'll miss you!"


5 comments:

Laci and Keri Németh said...

Skala coop...
Good bye...

Lazo

Gabi said...

NOOOO....DON'T LET THEM DO IT!!!!
I love Skála, and now I'm homesick ... :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh no!!! That makes me really sad! I have such fond memories of being there, and being there with you!!! Why do things change....

But wow, you guys have been married 3 years already. Time flies! And Nina is precious. I check in here all the time for new pics and stories. Love you and miss you!!! Leah Moore

Nick and Rosemary said...

We have a Skala too in Eger. It has been selling Chinese clothes for over a year now. There is a small remnant of Skala quality items in a corner though.~R

m+m said...

"Ide most benézek,
egy-két dolgot kinézek,
s mindjárt jobban (jobban)
kinézek."

Viszlát Skála! Hiányozni fogsz! :(